Gluten Free Coconut Cherry Cupcakes with Swirl Butter Frosting
195g gluten free self raising flour
130g caster sugar
70g desiccated coconut
1 tsp grated lemon rind
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp gluten free baking powder
100g roughly chopped glace cherries
1. Pre heat oven to 180oc/gas4 and line a muffin tin with 12 cupcake paper cases.
2. Cream the butter and sugar together until pale and fluffy, then add the eggs one at a time and incorporate into the mix.
3. Next, add the lemon zest and vanilla and beat well, then add the coconut and sieve in the salt, baking powder and flour. Mix well and add the milk. Finally fold in the chopped cherry pieces then divide the mix between the cases.
4. Bake for approximately 20 minutes until just golden brown. To check they are cooked, insert a cocktail stick into the cupcake and if it comes out clean its ready! Leave to cool on a wire rack.
110 g soft butter
230g icing sugar
1tsp vanilla extract
1 tbsp milk
Red food colour 1 drop
Extra desiccated coconut for sprinkles
1. Simply cream the butter, add the vanilla extract and half the sugar, mix, then add remaining sugar and milk.
2. Separate between two bowls and add a few drops of red food colouring to one and mix through.
3. Take a star nozzle filled piping bag and add the coloured butter cream to one half of the bag and the plain butter cream to the other half (it doesn’t have to be perfectly neat!) Pipe a swirl onto the cupcakes with your mix and sprinkle over some extra dried coconut as a garnish.